Employees are one of the most valuable assets of any business. Our employment attorneys provide practical advice to help manage your workforce at all stages of the employment relationship.
- Draft and revise employment policies, handbooks, and benefit plans
- Advise on employee complaints, leave, pay, and termination decisions
- Draft and negotiate employment contracts and non-competition agreements
- Respond to charges and audits before governmental agencies
- Advise employers on union-related matters
- Defend claims brought against employers in federal and state courts
Closely held and family-owned businesses cause the intersection of a variety of legal issues. Our attorneys, through decades of representation, developed the unique skill set required to advise on strategic, financial, and personal issues affecting closely held businesses. Whether your organization is in the early start-up period, where selection of the appropriate corporate entity and the raising of capital are critical, or the later stages involving operational decisions, real estate acquisitions, or succession planning, our experienced team can help you navigate the complex concerns affecting closely held businesses.
- Assist with the formation and maintenance of corporate entities, including reorganizations and recapitalizations
- Advise on real estate matters such as acquisitions, leases, and tax-deferred like-kind exchanges
- Plan and strategize the protection of assets and the succession of a closely held business to the next generation
Closely Held Business
Litigation can significantly affect your business’s operation. Our litigation attorneys combine powerful advocacy with practical business acumen to represent business and individuals in state and federal courts at every level.
- Complex business litigation, including shareholder disputes, contract disputes, and intellectual property claims
- Construction and land use litigation related to construction contracts or defective construction, homeowner’s associations, property disputes, and lien enforcement
- Employment litigation including discrimination, wage and hour, and non-competition agreements
- Creditor’s rights litigation such as debt collection, bankruptcy, and commercial and residential evictions
- Representation before state and federal appellate courts
Our experienced tax attorneys provide critical guidance related to tax and work with you to minimize the tax consequences of your operations. Our team, which includes a licensed Certified Public Accountant, several attorneys with advanced tax degrees, and a former Department of Justice attorney, will help you properly structure your transactions and protect your assets. We will also represent your business and negotiate on its behalf before the Internal Revenue Service and the North Carolina Department of Revenue.
- Business Formation
- Tax-Free Reorganizations
- Estate Tax Planning & Controversy
- Fiduciary Tax
- Partnership, C-Corp, and S-Corp Research
- Nonprofit Tax Matters
- ERISA Consultation
- International Tax Matters
- Business Sale Planning and Execution
- Business Succession Planning