The Tax Team at McGuire, Wood & Bissette helps minimize tax consequences from your transactions, investments and employment agreements; protects your assets; and negotiates with tax authorities in audit and represents you in tax disputes or other tax litigation.
With a thorough knowledge of both federal and North Carolina state tax law, our Tax Team has handled complex cases, such as those involving several layers of relationships, extensively detailed contracts, and conflicting tax law issues. We have advanced degrees in taxation and are licensed to practice before the U.S. Tax Court. One attorney on our Tax Team is a certified public accountant and another was formerly employed by the Tax Division of the U.S. Department of Justice — and represented the IRS in U.S. Federal District Court and U.S. Bankruptcy Court.
Our Tax Team can provide counsel on numerous types of tax matters, including the following:
- Business entity organization
- Taxable and non-taxable business restructuring, such as sales, mergers and reorganizations
- Restructuring of financially-troubled businesses
- Qualified and non-qualified deferred compensation and qualified retirement plans
- Business succession
- Audit representation before the IRS and N.C. Department of Revenue
- Representation before the U.S. Tax Court and U.S. Federal District Courts
- Administrative and judicial appeal of property taxes
- Formation, operation and qualification of tax-exempt status of non-profit organizations
- Like-kind (tax-deferred) exchanges of property
- Sales and use-tax planning and representation
- IRS and N.C. Department of Revenue tax collection defense