Peter U. Kanipe
Peter U. Kanipe focuses his practice on closing transactions and solving issues for clients in the areas of commercial real estate, development and local government matters. He is well know for his responsiveness to his clients in these stressful situations. He has represented the City of Asheville in the acquisition of multiple properties and sidewalk easements and helped banks with rectifying real property title issues. As a native of Asheville, Peter is able to assist out of town developers with issues that are unique to the community. He is a member of the firm’s Real Property and Development team. Peter came to the firm with an extensive background in collaborating with developers, various regional and national banks, and local cities and counties in Western North Carolina.
- Successfully salvaged a seven-figure transaction before a critical end-of-year deadline on the sale of a bank's REO property after it was discovered in the second week of December that the subject property's mineral rights were technically owned by a third party.
- Assisted a publicly-held corporation in a major merger with its competitor by providing required opinion letters confirming the validity of real estate liens, UCC Financing Statements and other commercial security documents under North Carolina jurisdiction.
- Successfully assisted numerous clients with their rezoning application and other land use compliance issues with government entities.
In the community, Peter's service includes participation in organizations such as:
- Real Property Section Council of the North Carolina Bar Association, Member (2019 - )
- Asheville Community Theatre, President (2009-2011); Executive Committee (2008-2012); Board member (2007-2013)
- Buncombe County Bar, Executive Committee member (2007-2010); Nominating Committee (2015)
- The Arc of Buncombe County, Board Member (2005-2009)
- Sports Outreach, Board Member, (2004-2009)
North Carolina (2002)
U.S. District Court for the Western District of North Carolina (2003)
University of Tennessee (J.D. cum laude, 2002)
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (B.A., 1999)
Top 40 Under 40, American Society of Legal Advocates (2016)
Best Lawyers in America (2020 - 2021)
Business North Carolina's Legal Elite (2021)