Peter U. Kanipe
Peter U. Kanipe focuses his practice on closing transactions and solving issues for clients in the areas of commercial real estate, development and local government matters. He is well know for his responsiveness to his clients in these stressful situations. He has represented the City of Asheville in different types of real estate matters, including serving as Interim Assistant City Attorney, and helped distinguished clients with rectifying real property title issues. As a native of Asheville, Peter is able to assist all of his clients with issues that are unique to the community. He is a shareholder and serves on the firm’s Management Committee. Peter came to the firm after running his own practice for over six years and has an extensive background in strategic planning and decision making in preparation for advising his clients.
- Successfully salvaged a seven-figure transaction before a critical end-of-year deadline on the sale of a bank’s REO property after it was discovered in the second week of December that the subject property’s mineral rights were technically owned by a third party.
- Assisted a publicly-held corporation in a major merger with its competitor by providing required opinion letters confirming the validity of real estate liens, UCC Financing Statements and other commercial security documents under North Carolina jurisdiction.
- Has discovered and resolved extensive and complicated title issues on different types of properties on both residential and commercial pieces of property to the satisfaction of his clients.
University of Tennessee (J.D. cum laude, 2002)
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (B.A., 1999)
North Carolina (2002)
U.S. District Court for the Western District of North Carolina (2003)
In the community, Peter’s service includes participation in organizations such as:
- Real Property Section Council of the North Carolina Bar Association, Former Member
- Asheville Community Theatre, Former President and Board Member
- Buncombe County Bar, Former Executive Committee Member
- The Arc of Buncombe County, Former Board Member
- Sports Outreach, Former Board Member
- Santa Pal, Volunteer
- Helpmate, Board Member
Super Lawyers®, Real Estate (2020 – 2023)
Best Lawyers in America® (2020 – 2024)
Business North Carolina Magazine Legal Elite, Real Estate (2021, 2023)
Biltmore Beacon 40 Under Forty, Class of 2016