Peter U. Kanipe
Peter U. Kanipe focuses his practice on closing transactions and solving issues in the areas of commercial real estate, development and local government matters. He has represented the City of Asheville in the acquisition of multiple properties and sidewalk easements and helped banks with rectifying real property title issues. As a native of Asheville, Peter is able to assist out of town developers with issues that are unique to the community.
- Successfully salvaged a seven-figure transaction before a critical end-of-year deadline on the sale of a bank's REO property after it was discovered in the second week of December that the subject property's mineral rights were technically owned by a third party.
- Assisted a major publicly-held corporation in a major merger with its competitor by providing required opinion letters confirming the validity of real estate liens, UCC Financing Statements and other commercial security documents under North Carolina jurisdiction.
- Secured numerous six-figure litigation settlements, including a nursing home negligence claim, a wrongful death settlement against a drunk driver with minimum policy limits and no UIM coverage available to the victim, and a breach of contract and unfair and deceptive trade practices claim against a manufacturing company.
In the community, Peter's service includes participation in organizations such as:
- Asheville Community Theatre, President (2009-2011); Executive Committee (2008-2012); Board member (2007-2013)
- 28th Judicial District Bar, Executive Committee member (2007-2010); Nominating Committee (2015)
- The Arc of Buncombe County, Board Member, 2005-2009
- Sports Outreach, Board Member, 2004-2009
- Mountain Area Volunteer Lawyer Network
North Carolina (2002)
U.S. District Court for the Western District of North Carolina (2003)
University of Tennessee (J.D. cum laude, 2002)
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (B.A., 1999)